Legal Name Changes

(909) 598-3311


Name Change California

Do You Need a Name Change in California?

Name Change CaliforniaDepending on your circumstances, you may or may not need to go through a legal process to change your name in California. You usually have the legal right to change your name by using a new name in all aspects of your life, which is also called the "usage method." However, with very few exceptions, government agencies require a court order as official proof of a California name change, so getting a court order is the best way to make sure you legally change your name in California. By using the Law Offices of Omer Rangoonwala, you will receive our assistance in preparing the legal process for your California name change-- while you can relax and let us deal with the paperwork and hearings!

There are many reasons you might wish to change your name-- you could be going through a divorce, or perhaps you just got married. You might not like your name, or it could have negative associations you want to distance yourself from. Whatever your reasons for a California name change, the Law Offices of Omer Rangoonwala have you covered. Generally, the first step in the name changing process is to file a "Petition for Change of Name" in a California court. We handle this petitioning process, and every step thereafter.

We ensure that all of your California name change paperwork is filled out properly and correctly, and handle the filing of the petition with your local court clerk. Upon filing your Petition for Change of Name, a court date will be set for your name change case.  During the time before your court case, your intention to change your name must be published for up to four (4) consecutive weeks in a court-approved publication. We also handle the publication process, so you don't have to worry about locating the proper paper and publishing the notice yourself.

At your court hearing, we then provide proof of the publication in the approved news outlet of your intent to change your name in California, and the judge will sign a decree changing your name.  Once the decree has been signed, we will obtain a certified copy from the court for you, which you can then use to change your name on your Driver's License, Birth Certificate, Social Security Card, and other government-issued documents.

Why put extra stress and worry on yourself with the legal process involved in a California name change? Instead, let the Law Offices of Omer Rangoonwala do the leg work for you, and you'll soon have your brand-new name!



Main Office
20955 Pathfinder Road, Suite 100
Diamond Bar, CA 91765

Orange County
333 City Blvd. West, Suite 1700
Orange, CA 92868

Contact Us

Call us at (909) 598-3311

or click here to email us.